New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  10:09:15  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Bobby Ayers: where is the watering trough for the James River & Kanawha Turnpike located? That's one thing I don't ever remember seeing! Very interesting!
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  11:31:32  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hello, all!!!! This website has become such a part of my life, I don't know how I ever got along without it!

I'm looking for pictures of the skating rink/bowling alley. Does anyone out there have any such pictures? Also, I'm looking for pictures of the old, old church at Sewell Valley Baptist Church. This is not the brick building there now that was built in the 60's. I'm looking for a picture of the white frame building that sat where the cemetery is. It had two doors on the front.

Any help in locating pictures would be greatly appreciated. I get by with a little help from my friends.
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  21:53:27  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. Janet Estep sent two interesting photo scans. I am pasting her comments, "The first is of the East Rainelle Rotary Club. I believe they are having lunch at the King Coal Hotel. I do not know any of the men in this picture, although I recognize Mr. Mosrie (standing, 3rd from left) and Mr. Coffman (seated, center, behind the flowers). My grandmother worked as a cook at the hotel and I believe she probably served or cooked for these men at their lunch meetings. It's not a very good picture because the lights are visible on either side of the picture.

The second picture is of children whom I don't know. These were in my grandmother's pictures. The children's picture was taken in East Rainelle, looks like the late 40's. Perhaps someone on the Reunion Site will know who they are.

Enjoy them at http://www.rainellereunion.com/photos.html#janet and let us know if you have any information about the photos. Dale

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  12:47:44  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm still looking for a photo of the skating rink/bowling alley. Even if it's only a snapshot of either the inside or outside, doesn't make any difference. Does anyone know who owned the skating rink? Who owned the bowling alley? Was it the same person who operated both businesses? Thanks a lot for everything.
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  21:32:17  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Janet,

The skating rink was owned by my father, George Aide......The bowling alley I do not know.....

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  22:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy: Did your dad own the old skating rink that was located at the intersection of 13th.st and James River/Kanawha Tpk. years and years ago? I didn't know that.
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  06:30:03  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes he did own the skating rink....Johnny Manspile was the manager......I will try to ask Dad a little information concerning the skating rink....I do not know of any pictures...
I loved to roller skate....It was so much fun....a great layoout for the rink. The music was great!!!!!

Andy

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  08:26:32  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Andy, do you know the date that the skating rink was opened and when it closed? Thanks. I didn't know your dad owned the skating rink! It was a point of reference anytime we gave directions: "We live up close to the skating rink!"
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  14:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband practically lived at the skating rink (he said). He loved and still loves to roller skate. I was never there but we would drive by and I remember hearing the sounds of the skating and the fun. Andy: your dad provided a great place for the young people of our area to have good safe fun. Did he also own the one that was in Rainelle in the 70's?
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  19:07:11  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ML and Janet,

My Dad is in the hospital and will be released tomorrow...At times he is a little confused......He will remember the skating rink, however Dad will not remember the date of the opening of the rink....I will try to ask him some questions concerning the skating rink....I will ask my brother Richard, he may remember. I really just remember going skating myself.......Not with any of my brothers or sisters.

I remember JD Surbaugh going really fast around the rink....I remember Johnny Cash singing the song "Ring of Fire".

Again I loved to skate..

Yes, Randy and I openned the skating rink in Rainelle....It was fun ....but It was not as nice as the orginal one..The rink was located as to what most of you know as the old A&P building....Also my bones did not heal as well in the 70's as the 60's....

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  12:33:16  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For those who use Ebay, there is a 1964 Graduation announcement up for bid
http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-Rainelle-HS-Graduation-Invitation-Rainelle-WV_W0QQitemZ320033629575QQihZ011QQcategoryZ39727QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This link should take you right to the page. If for some reason this doesn't work, go to www.ebay.com and search for Rainelle. It should come up. Janet

Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  16:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy. I just saw your post dated 9/21/06. I'm sorry your dad has been ill. I hope he is better now. My son received his first broken bone at the Rainelle skating rink. Your dad provided years of good fun for the young and old of Rainelle who loved skating.
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  16:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet, that is J. D. Surbaugh's invitation. Small world, i just saw him this past weekend in Rainelle.
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  16:06:16  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow, you know, I didn't even look at that! That's amazing. I wonder if he knows it.
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  17:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet, I don't know. That will be interesting.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page