Medow River Lumber Co LINK
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Harold Viers 60

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  16:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many of you remember this old Shay engine working in the Medow River Co wood yard in Rainelle? If you are as old as I am you will remember seeing the train on your way (walking 5 miles up hill) to school every day.

Just click on the link below and enjoy.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2l.htm

John Simpson

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  05:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harold, thanks for the great Shay pictures. I was born and 'somewhat raised' on 2nd street in 1931.As kids (early '40s)we used to watch for the Shays to come in with a load of trees and flatten the coins left on the tracks. We would jump aboard at Middletown and ride to the Mill Pond then pick up the quarter size pennies. Much later my three boys got to enjoy a ride on the same Shay (#7) at Cass RR. I have a signed copy of Roy Clarkson's ON BEYOND LEATHERBARK: The Cass Saga. John Simpson Class of 1949 RHS.
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  19:21:27  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I ran across an interesting history and a few nice photos about Meadow River Lumber Company and Rainelle. It has info & photos of the Raines, the Raine home, etc.: http://www.blueridgecountry.com/FavoriteArticles/MeadowRiver_JF05/
It starts out, "For 60 years, Meadow River Lumber Company, in tiny Rainelle, W.Va., was the largest hardwood mill in the world. People were born in Rainelle, grew up, married, raised families, became grandparents, never knowing a time when the mill had not existed."

This is interesting, "Unlike many absentee lumber barons, John Raine lived in the town and took a genuine interest in the welfare of the people. The company houses were provided with running water (from company-dug wells), bathrooms and electricity. Each one had its own lawn and garden plot. Raine even provided pasture land to those employees who wanted to keep livestock. The company erected the first schoolhouse and supplemented the salaries of teachers. There was a company store, bank, theater, boarding house, and a church and parsonage."

A paragraph states, "Progress finally caught up with Meadow River. While it pioneered many logging practices, at the same time it clung to obsolete (and expensive) methods of doing things. Meadow River never did pay much. In 1939, general labor paid 25 cents an hour for the first 30 days and 30 cents after that. In 1970, general labor was $2 an hour. A lengthy strike in 1969 and another threatened for 1971 had the owners running scared. During the winter of 1970, they sold out to Georgia-Pacific Corporation for $7 million."

Very interesting.

I also found a cute PowerPoint presentation by a Midland Trail student, Amanda Martin, on the History of Rainelle:
http://mths.faye.k12.wv.us/teachers/gsumner/Rainelle_files/frame.htm
Other student presentations are listed at:
http://mths.faye.k12.wv.us/teachers/gsumner/ms_powerpoint_presentations.htm with some nice photos.

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 02/25/2006 19:40:25
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  14:43:10  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gerry Mitchell sent an interesting article written about Meadow River Lumber Company and Rainelle history. The article also includes an interview with Mayor Rip Johnson who was 94-Years-Old at the time (Sent by Gerry Mitchell)
Page 1 http://www.rainellereunion.com/images/history/RAINELLE%20ARTICLES%20ABOUT%20MEADOW%20RIVER%20LUMBER%20CO%20AND%20EX%20MAJOR%20RIP%20%20JOHNSON_pg1.jpg

Page 2 http://www.rainellereunion.com/images/history/RAINELLE%20ARTICLES%20ABOUT%20MEADOW%20RIVER%20LUMBER%20CO%20AND%20EX%20MAJOR%20RIP%20%20JOHNSON_pg2.jpg

Gerry also sent an article about the upcoming (hopefully) U.S.D.O.E. clean coal plant that is slated to come to Rainelle along with many jobs for Rainelle and WV: http://www.rainellereunion.com/images/history/RAINELLE POWER PLANT-A MODERN REALITY.jpg We will write more about the plant in the near future.

919-272-8052
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  18:18:08  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kenneth Napier sent some very interesting historical information. Kenneth wrote, "This helps put events in a time perspective and also show the value of Meadow River's contribution, largely funding the school operation (with a few patrons) until turning the property over to the County." See http://www.rainellereunion.com/timeline.html to view the timeline.

You will enjoy this. Dale

919-272-8052
Go to Top of Page

Patty Cox Osborne 67

128 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  22:24:45  Show Profile  Send Patty Cox Osborne 67 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I did enjoy this link very much and am making some copies to take to the reunion meeting next week. Wouldn't it be great to come up with a copy of that 1927 yearbook and an issue of the Mountain Ranger school paper?
Thanks Kenneth.
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  06:10:26  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the Heisler train video link Laird Campbell sent.

I was going through some old documents my dad, Clyde Tincher, had typed on his old Underwood typewriter. A bit of background on the typewriter, my dad had always been a heavy smoker & quit when he was in his 40's or so. He always told me that if I did not take up smoking, he would buy me a typewriter when I graduated from high school. A typewriter was something he had always wanted. I didn't smoke. He bought the typewriter, loved it, used it, etc., so I left it with him to enjoy.

Dad wrote a lot of letters with that Underwood that I am enjoying reading. They are filling in pieces of stories I have heard and of memories I have. I found one called "Bill Day and John Raine." It impresses me that John Raine, a busy, successful, wealthy business man would take the time to associate with farmers and their kids. I would love to hear more personal stories about John and Bill. They can serve as an example to us and future generations.

Dad's letter, probably written in the 80's is below.

Bill Day and John Raine

In the late 20's, Meadow River Lumber Company built a railroad into Crag. Daily, I'd watch the train go up, and soon became acquainted with the engineer. His name was Bill Day. Every day from daylight to dark, my mother said I would ask, "Is it time for Bill Day yet?"

Bill would stop and pick me up daily and take me up the valley. I remember Bill bringing a carload of tile to my dad one day. Of course, we could only order things in Rainelle, but Bill brought it on.

John Raine would come up often with Bill. When he did, he would always stop and ask and ask my mother, "Got any cornbread and buttermilk?" He loved his cornbread and buttermilk. Maybe that's where I learned to love it so. Every time John sat down to eat, I had to have a glass also. I thought about as much of John as I did Bill.

There was a landing about three fourth's of a mile above our house where the team would bring the logs. There, the train would pick them up. That's where I'd ride to with Bill. I would see the monstrous teams come out of the woods with their loads of logs. Gosh, they looked like giants. Bill would unhook from his empties and hook to unload cars. Away we would go. I felt as big as him. Boy, did I feel important. I wonder if Bill ever knew the thrill he was giving a little boy. If he was living today, I think I would walk a mile, as the Camel ad used to say, just to tell him.

Bill tied a cord to the top of his engine. As he would open the throttle, he'd tell me, "Give her the gun." He told me I was in control and gave me the cord. He said for me to pull it when he said, "Give her the gun." I did, and I thought I was running the train. She moved when I said for her to.

Now, John Raine is gone. So is Bill. But, as long as there is Rainelle, there will be a reminder of John. And, as long as I live, Bill will never be forgotten.

I love the story. I love hearing how these men seemed to be involved in the community and took the time to talk to and associate with people, even if they were country farmers and kids. Kids never forget these acts of kindness. I also love cornbread and buttermilk even though I will never get it like grandma used to make it.

Our dear, late friend and '64 classmate, Gerry Mitchell scanned numerous photos and articles about Meadow River Lumber Company and Rainelle. Be sure to spend some time enjoying them if you haven't - http://www.rainellereunion.com/meadow_river_lumber_company_rainelle.html

Dale

919-272-8052

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 12/09/2010 06:22:36
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  21:06:20  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dale, what a treasure that letter was! It's my opinion that you should gather them together, bind them, and transcribe them into a document that can be shared. I believe that the historical society in Lewisburg would like to have a copy of them.

Where we lived in the Osborne Addition, my dad said a train used to run up to Little Sewell Mountain along the branch behind our house. It probably connected to the track that ran to Craig. We once found a railroad spike when we were digging up the garden along the creek. That's when my dad told me about the train that ran up the mountain.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page