Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  00:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dale, I do have a copy of that picture somewhere but I have no idea where. I had not seen it in many years. What a very nice surprise.
When I can get my magnifying glass (can't find it right now either)
I'll look at he picture closely and see if I can name the others. Actually, my mother died that month. That is the reason for the sad faces. It was such a treat to see that picture. Thank you Terry for submitting it.
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2006 :  18:32:42  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi, to all! For K.C. Farren, I've tried to email you, K.C., but am having problems. Did you find the pictures of the old Osborne house/stage coach stop? In all of your memorabilia you may have pictures to share with Dale. Janet
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2006 :  02:48:17  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. Evelyn Utterback Drake sent an interesting photo taken around 1916. The only identified individual is Amy Howard, a teacher, in the second row. If anyone can identify any others, please let us know - http://www.rainellereunion.com/photos.html#1916

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com
Go to Top of Page

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  09:08:01  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi to all, this is just a reminder that old photos require some tender loving care if they are to survive in our harsh world. The acid in envelopes, cardboad shoe boxes, etc. and some photograph albums, will absolutely destroy photos. They may fade into almost nothingness or the paper they're printed on may begin to fall apart and deteriorate. If you have treasured photos or other paper memoriabilia, look into getting acid-free archival storage boxes to keep them in.

One company that sells storage products is www.lightimpressionsdirect.com. There are others, but this is one that I've used and found to be a good one. Janet
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  15:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. Joan Quick Burns sent some wonderful, historical Rainelle articles that include photos. Thank you, Joan! As usual, Gerry did an excellent job scanning them. They include:
1946 Rainelle Flood 2) Rainelle Band Early 1900's 3) Rainelle School Early Years 4) Winter Photo From Lee's Tree Tavern
http://www.rainellereunion.com/photos.html#joan

919-272-8052
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  00:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janet, thank you for that good information re: photographs. I had to learn the hard way on my older photos.
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  07:28:14  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good Morning,

I received an email today from Nell Powers. Nell's Mom and Dad were French and Theda Powers...Mark and Gary were her brothers.....The Powers family was known and loved by all...The Powers were leaders in our community as all of you know....

Yesterday Nell registered on our website therefore I emailed her a little note welcoming her to our website.........

Nell's reply:

quote:
Hey Andy:

Nice to hear from you. Yes, I found the website...my daughter actually is the one who found it and then emailed it to me. She thought I had already seen it. I have spent the best part of two days browsing thru all the memories people have posted. I then spent this evening chatting with Danny over and over again about the contents I had seen so far. I am sure he will be checking it out soon himself.

I have loads of photos that my Dad took back in the 70's when Rainelle was vying for West Virginia City...do you recall this? However, the pictures are slides, not photos. I am thinking on how to get some of them converted to digital or at least photos. This procedure currently is pretty expensive, but I may have a plan (my 2nd cousin does this for a living and might (?) give me a break). I have other pictures too that would fit in perfectly with memories. One comes to mind is an 8 x 10 of the volunteer Fire Dept when my Dad was a member (in late 50's/early 60's) and there are many men in the shot. I will have to get to a good scanner OR buy me one like I have been wanting. The ones I have had in the past did not have the pixel quality I desire to have.

And then of course, I have ALL the Powers' Family photos. I have been the "Keeper" of these for many years. There are boxes upon boxes of slides that Daddy took of the 4 of us, the books and piles of photos, and then I also have Mom and Dad's early years together (when Mother was better able to place them in the old time photo albums and journal them (pre-children). Best of all for old memories, I have my Grandmother Nell (Fleshman) albums....scrapbooks of newspaper articles and deaths and photos too.

I am bragging about all the goodies that I have, but do not know when I can produce any of it for the Rainelle website. I will place on my "to do" list to do so a little at a time, because this could become a major commitment based on the closet full of Powers' memorabilia.

As for me and Danny's children...they are doing very well and living in Raleigh. Recently, my son came across one of Tom Rider's girls in Raleigh when at the dentist office for a routine visit. They did not know each other before us leaving Rainelle (and Tom too), HOWEVER they acknowledged the connection to Rainelle, family and common friends. Dan and I moved into our new home (empty nest) almost a year ago. Dan built 99% of it himself. I am now retired, disabled, but keep very busy with the home, our newest "girls" (beagles), family stuff and close friends. Also, it seems I am in some kind of doctor's office at least once a week for something or another. I am going to physical therapy currently 3 mornings a week also (which is really helping my back and legs).

Wow...this short email ended up as a book! You may share this email with others that might be interested in hearing about one of the Powers girls. And I am sure you will be hearing from me again soon ON the website. That is, as soon as I can dry up these happy tears of wonderful memories that flooded back to me the last two days!

Yours,

Nell (Sissy) Powers Gwinn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 1:55 PM
To: danandsis@ec.rr.com
Subject: rainelle

Welcome Nell.........I am very pleased you have registered on the Rainelle Reunion Website...

I hope you enjoy looking at it and we encourage you to join our discussion board...

Hope this email finds you and your family doing well...

Take Care,,,,Andy Pendleton

Classmates we are making a difference by sharing our love and memories of the past with each other.

Thank you Nell....I will forward your email to Gerry and Dale with some advice on how you can easily share your pictures with us.....I am very excited ...So get busy in that closet...lol....

Thank you again and look forward to seeing you on the discussion board...love to your family....

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ML2006

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  23:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, Nell. It's good to see you on here! I sent you an email.
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2006 :  22:51:47  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. I just returned to North Carolina after a wonderful week in West Virginia visiting friends and relatives. My youngest daughter, Sarah went with me. The Rainelle area was beautiful. I enjoyed seeing several classmates. Andy Aide Pendleton was a gracious hostess for a day and a half and took me several places where I could get great photos, as well as visit friends. The Rainelle hot dog dinner I had announced on the board was fun. Some friends showed up for it. Some others who couldn't make that date, were kind enough to arrange a get-together the next night at Smokey's on the Gorge restaurant. I have linked photos from those events, plus Babcock State Park, New River Gorge views, Rainelle School, plus some Rainelle photos. I hope you enjoy the photos. If you would like any large electronic original versions, I will be happy to send them. Or, I will be happy to upload the originals to Kodak Gallery and you can order prints from Kodak if you wish. Dale

http://www.rainellereunion.com/photos.html#rainelle_dt

I will describe the photos better when I have more time.

I welcome comments about any of the locations. They will help visitors who are planning trips to Rainelle. BTW, I stayed a couple nights at the Dawson Inn off Exit 150 of I-64 and enjoyed it. Terry Fleshman happened to be there and we had a nice chat. My understanding is that he developed it and Lynn Durham owns it now. I will send more observations about Rainelle in the future. I thoroughly enjoyed the visit.

Please check back. Gerry has sent several items that I will post soon.

Nell, it is great to hear from you and we are excited about the photos.

We also heard from Bobby G. Ayers II. Bobby will be sending several Rainelle photos from his collections.

919-272-8052

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 08/15/2006 08:50:14
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  09:30:41  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Randy and I had a wonderful visit with Dale and his daughter Sarah....

Here is a few pictures of Dale taking photo's at Babcock....

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=prxi0xw.5j9n79yc&Uy=fi1kw5&Ux=0

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  01:01:57  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gerry Mitchell sent some very nice photos of his recent trip. Enjoy them at http://www.rainellereunion.com/photos.html#gerry_806 or http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=u46feyk.7ebes8c4&x=0&y=djk95k

919-272-8052
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  21:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dale Tincher 64

Gerry Mitchell sent some very nice photos of his recent trip. Enjoy them at http://www.rainellereunion.com/photos.html#gerry_806 or http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=u46feyk.7ebes8c4&x=0&y=djk95k

919-272-8052

Everyone, I missed adding some of Gerry's photos. They include photos that include Potts Keavney, Mary Gwinn, the infamous Rainelle pool location and more. Please revisit the link to view the additions. Dale

919-272-8052
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  11:26:08  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gerry has scanned some very nice photos and articles, many of them from the Rip Johnson estate. They are located at:
http://www.rainellereunion.com/photos.html#8-21

They include
1) WV State Fair History (you will need to view this in Fullscreen mode of Photoworks if your PC permits)
2) Mountain Ranger 4-1948 and 12-1948
3) Pioneer Theatre Concert Program 1923
4) Dr. Cales & Others at Raine House Before Repairs

J.L. Holsberry submitted an interesting photo of The Rainelle Home Guard that was probably taken in the early 1940's http://www.rainellereunion.com/photos.html#guard

919-272-8052

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 08/21/2006 22:16:22
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  11:49:07  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bobby Ayers II has submitted some wonderful photos. Several of the photos show historic location views as compared to the current views. For example, you can see the 1919 version of the Rainelle Depot and the current version. Greenbrier Ghost photos & others are included. (If you haven't seen The Greenbrier Ghost, make sure to do so. I saw it two ago in Lewisburg and enjoyed it immensely.)

Enjoy the photos at http://www.rainellereunion.com/photos.html#8-21

If you wish further information, please contact Bobbly at Bobby.Ayers@rainellereunion.com Thank you, Bobby!!!

919-272-8052

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 02/03/2007 20:55:14
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  13:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some updates - the Greenbrier West '71 yearbook will be up soon. That will conclude the yearbook scanning since we have all of them back to 1929 with a few exceptions in the 30's. If, however, we come across any more older yearbooks, we want to scan them.

Virginia Meadows has loaned us beautiful color photos of the 2002 All-School reunion. I will send them to Gerry this week and he will scan them for the Website. Watch for them later this month or early next month. Dale

919-272-8052
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page