New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  08:15:55  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rangers, I have heard some rumors that the Reunion Committee and others have talked some about having a reunion sooner than the normal 5 year interval. I realize that it is a lot of work for the committee and we appreciate, so much, their hard work and time sacrifices. I have talked with several Rangers who have said that we aren't getting any younger, plus the school will apparently be torn down prior to 5 years and that it would be wonderful if we could schedule a reunion prior to the normal 5 years. I suggest that if you feel that way, to let the discussion board and/or a reunion committee member know. I will be happy to pass your comments on or post them to the board if you want to send them to me. My vote is YES, let's have one soon!! Don't shoot me, Patty!

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com

Janet Ballengee Estep 68

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  10:12:38  Show Profile  Send Janet Ballengee Estep 68 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is the first I've heard about the school being torn down. What's the story with that? Will a new school building be constructed?
Go to Top of Page

Patty Cox Osborne 67

128 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  18:09:59  Show Profile  Send Patty Cox Osborne 67 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Janet,
A bond issue has passed that will provide a new elementary school for Rainelle. It will be built on 'our' football field. The current elementary school is in really bad shape and most of the classes are now held in what was 'our' high school building. It is my understanding that both old school buildings and the gym will be torn down.
The construction is supposed to begin this spring. The bond also provides for major remodeling at Greenbrier West.
I know progress is important and inevitable but it will be a very sad day for me when 'our' school is gone. I will keep you posted on this website

Patty
Go to Top of Page

Patty Cox Osborne 67

128 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  19:10:37  Show Profile  Send Patty Cox Osborne 67 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dale,
You used to be my friend!!! Just kidding!!!

I, too, have had several comments about not waiting until 2012 for another All-School Reunion. Yes, we are all getting older and did not know for sure during the last reunion that the school would not be there. I would also like to see the lawn filled with Rangers one more time before the buildings are torn down. Although, I can't make any promises, I join you in encouraging others to contact you or us here on the website or to get in touch with their class contact person...let's see how the 'voting' goes!

Thanks again for all you do to keep this wonderful website up and running!!!

PS---For the record, your YES will be the first vote recorded!

Go to Top of Page

Connard Estep 53

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  20:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will cast a yes vote..
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  13:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Old friend and ex-neighbor, Tommy Rider (now Dr. Tom Rider) sent a vote for "yes", let's have a reunion before the next scheduled one. Tommy, my brother Donnie and Steve Zickafoose were best friends. I recall Junior Rider once looking at the bunch of us sitting in his den and saying in his wry manner that none of us "would amount to a hill of beans." Donnie, Tommy and Steve were quite the pranksters. We weren't headed in very positive directions then, but we had a lot of fun and have many good memories.

Junior was an excellent carpenter. I recall the local buzz when he completed the Ponderosa zoo and lodge.

919-272-8052
Go to Top of Page

Donnie Puckett 67

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  23:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dale and Patty,

I would welcome the opportunity to get together before 2012.
It is sad to think of our schools being torn down, but it is exciting to see the children and teachers getting the much needed upgrade for continued growth in our favorite town of Rainelle.

I have spent 38 years teaching and it is always nice to know that people care enough to build new schools and not just close doors and bus the kids miles away.

This will ensure that the children of future generations will grow up in Rainelle and continue to have the fond memories we all have.
I'm only 180 miles away and would be willing to help in any way I could to put together the next reunion.
Go to Top of Page

Ron Estep 57

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  13:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dale Tincher 64

Rangers, I have heard some rumors that the Reunion Committee and others have talked some about having a reunion sooner than the normal 5 year interval. I realize that it is a lot of work for the committee and we appreciate, so much, their hard work and time sacrifices. I have talked with several Rangers who have said that we aren't getting any younger, plus the school will apparently be torn down prior to 5 years and that it would be wonderful if we could schedule a reunion prior to the normal 5 years. I suggest that if you feel that way, to let the discussion board and/or a reunion committee member know. I will be happy to pass your comments on or post them to the board if you want to send them to me. My vote is YES, let's have one soon!! Don't shoot me, Patty!

919-272-8052

Go to Top of Page

Ron Estep 57

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  13:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Donnie and the rest of the older Rangers. My vote is yes.
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Estep 57

quote:
Originally posted by Dale Tincher 64

919-272-8052

Go to Top of Page

Joan Rosewell M 55

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  23:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I vote YES!
Go to Top of Page

Patty Cox Osborne 67

128 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  11:47:34  Show Profile  Send Patty Cox Osborne 67 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, get out your poodle skirts and polish those classic cars.....
We're having a reunion next year!!!

The information we have received from the Greenbrier County Board of Education is this:
The contracts for the new elementary school will be let in November and December 2009.
The building will be constructed between January and December 2010. The building should be occupied in January 2011.
ALL current buildings will be torn down.

Since the word has gotten out we have heard from several people and the response has all been very positive and very enthusiastic. Also, in the last 2 weeks, we have contacted most all of the class contact persons and all have voted "Yes" and most have agreed to continue to help again. Mrs. Meadows has already jumped on board to help and she and her camera team will be ready. Everyone agrees we must fill the RHS Lawn with Rangers one last time and the time is limited. We realize that proposed construction is always subject to change, but we certainly don't want to miss our final opportunity.
Mark your calenders for June 30-July 3 and plan to join us the last time at RHS.

Let's all work together to 'get 'er done' in a short amount of time!!!

Patty
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  20:58:01  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is WONDERFUL news, Patty!!!! Thank you and the reunion committee/contacts! I'm sure many people will be happy to help in any way. I'll quickly post any info you wish to send to the Website. I'm very excited and can't wait! My calendar is now marked off for Rainelle that week.

I'll see if Donnie Puckett will teach me to line dance so I can go the same way everyone else does at the next reunion.

919-272-8052
Go to Top of Page

Evelyn Utterback Drake 56

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  08:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great round of thanks to all the local folks who make this reunion such a delight for all of us and have stepped up the plate for us again.

Now for all of us who don't live in the area, what can we do to help. Jim Bottomley and I will take the responsibility of calling the class of 1956 to encourage them to make an all out effort to attend. Hopefully some other classes will do likewise.

Let's make this the best attended reunion ever.
Go to Top of Page

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  06:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. I'm still elated about the 2010 reunion!!

Gerry Mitchell and Patty Cox Osborne have sent scans of an article that discusses the plans for the new school. You can view Patty (and Jerry's) scan http://www.rainellereunion.com/images/new_school/Proposed_Rainelle_Elementary_p.jpg or Gerry's scans that separated the text from a drawing of the school plans - http://www.rainellereunion.com/images/new_school/Proposed_Rainelle_Elementary_3_g.jpg and the drawing http://www.rainellereunion.com/images/new_school/Proposed_Rainelle_Elementary_4_drawing_g.jpg Thank you Patty and Gerry for sending them.

919-272-8052

Edited by - Dale Tincher 64 on 04/23/2009 06:47:04
Go to Top of Page

Andy Aide Pendleton 64

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  20:02:47  Show Profile  Send Andy Aide Pendleton 64 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone ,

Surprise, I am Back...!!!!

Yesterday Gingy Manspile approached me concerning the reunion....
My computer has been on the freeze for a week, therefore I was not aware of the event till yesterday...
A very exciting time for all of us.....

I am pleased that most of you seem to understand the reasoning in replacing our school. I certainly have the same deep feelings toward the school.

We all must understand the need of a new school for the students future..I do believe the teachers are very supportive of this action..

I must say as far as the town goes we are very fortune having the school to remain in our community.....Can you imagine the town without the activity of the school..... Just another dead building would begin to decay.....

Now, we will have a school for the future ,,, 25 years from now today's children will be remembering their school days from a different building on our stomping ground...

Andy

The very best news,, is a year earlier..... to be able to see our dear friends again laughing, hugging, and smiling for an entire weekend..

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Patty Cox Osborne 67

128 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2009 :  10:39:44  Show Profile  Send Patty Cox Osborne 67 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A meeting for the class contact persons will be held Tuesday, May 19. at 7:00pm at Rainelle City Hall.
Please note new meeting place...City Hall.
If you cannot attend, please get updated addresses or changes to your classmates' information to me as soon as possible.

Our 1st letter to the alumni about the 2010 reunion should go out this summer.

Patty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page