Rainelle Information
 Seeking info on Ernie Pyle's Rainelle soldier
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dale Tincher 64

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  15:46:05  Show Profile  Visit Dale Tincher 64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rangers,

We received a nice e-mail from Hugh Spencer of Lynchburg, VA. If you can provide any information, please let us know. Hugh said that the marker was there in the summer of 67 and for a few years after. He isn't sure when it was removed but it might have about the time 64 opened up the rest of the way west to the W Va. turnpike.

Please answer on this discussion board or send me an e-mail and I will be happy to post your response. Thank you, Dale

Hugh's note:
During many trips between Virginia and Kentucky we passed through the Rainelle, especially before I-64 was completed. For years the Interstate stopped at Sam Black Church and we took US 60 west from there. I clearly remember a historical marker in Rainelle on the western side of the city that noted an event in the life of soldier form the area. As best I can remember, the boy was interviewed by Ernie Pyle in Europe with the simple question: "Where are you from soldier?". His reply, was simply: "Rainelle, West Virginia." I have never been able to find the quote, although I know I did see it in one of Pyle's many documents from WW II. The marker is also gone now. Indeed, I think it was removed some years ago and the state seems not to have a record of it.

Can you tell who might know the story here? We still come "the old way" from time to time just because we love the area. And, I cannot forget the man whoever he was.

With best wishes,

Hugh T. Spencer, Sc.D.

Dale Tincher - Class of 64
919-272-8052
dale.tincher@rainellereunion.com
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Rainelle Reunion Discussion © 2000-05 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page